Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Harvest


In an effort to create balance in my life I try not to work in the studio on Saturday's.  I'm there the rest of the week teaching and working, so for the benefit of my family I have agreed to be at home both physically and mentally (those of you who are passionate about your work know what I mean). This doesn't always work.  I seem to find myself going to gallery's, art fairs, or friends shops, on the weekends more than not, but my husband helps me know when it's family time.  Hunting is family time, I don't remember my mom ever buying meat from the store growing up.  We harvested our meat in the fall and lived off the protein rich meat throughout the winter.  Bringing home a rated buck is still a thrill but I wouldn't consider myself a "trophy hunter" we hunt so we have enough meat to make it through the winter.  If we don't need the meat we don't put in for the hunt.  If we can't find a healthy mature animal, we don't take the shot.  If we can't make the shot, we won't take it.  We were taught never to leave a wounded animal in the forest.  Most of the time our "hunts" turn into little more than great horse rides as a family, time spent together laughing and reminiscing without interruption is invaluable to my family.   As an adult I value the health benefits of the natural meat, as well as the responsibility we have as hunters and citizens of the earth to protect and maintain a healthy heard.   As a hunter I value the lesson's my Dad instilled in me throughout our family time growing up.  Although Marshall and I have no children of our own we look forward to shairing these lessons with our own children some day. 





Magic is the favorite of all the grand kids.  His tail touches the ground and his bangs are.... well you can see for yourself.  I wonder sometimes how he finds his way back down the mountain.  He's surprisingly sure footed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of visitors to this page