Monday, March 15, 2010

Local Potter writes a book.

  Last summer at a family reunion my aunt Marsha was reading Remembering Isaac a book by a local potter Ben Buhunin.  She asked if I knew him.  I know Ben only by his art work which I have seen at the local art festivals and through researching local potters online.  I have never spoken to Ben and he undoubtedly would have no idea who I am.  Sometime in late November or Early December I was @ Costo w/ my mom when I saw the first and second books in Ben's series, Ben was also there to sign the books.  I figured if they were as good as my aunt proclaimed and included pottery I better buy them while I could have them signed, at worst I figured I could donate them to the school.  The books have sat on my night stand ever since collecting dust.  In truth I have been a little dubious, how could these books live up to my expectation as an artist potter and book lover.   I began to read Remembering Isaac thinking it would not last long and I would loose interest.  I was beyond pleasantly surprised.  These books are wonderful, not just for the story line, which I have enjoyed, but for the deeper messages conveyed.  I won't evade the fact that this book has deeply underlined with christian messaging but I will say that there is no push toward any predominant religion, beyond quoting the bible and religious historical figures periodically.  I want to write more about them to per-swayed any readers to take the plunge but I'm not that good at articulating my thoughts so for fear of making this post any longer I will just say Read these books if you get a chance. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow, your sign is beautiful! May I ask who made it? I'm from Utah too and I need someone to make a sign for my small photography business.

    Mindy :)

    ReplyDelete

Locations of visitors to this page